Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Dog Park

The dog park…

As I mentioned my blog is about all things Chicago. One of the qualities I have always valued is how pet-friendly this city is. We have a Shiba Inu / Shepherd mix. She’s four years old with no sign of slowing down at all. She went to the dog park today and ran circles around the other dogs. That is not at all what catches my interest today however…

There is an interesting dynamic that occurs among pet owners, particularly between dog owners. A certain type of socialization is required for both the pet and the owners. I find the whole dynamic very stressful. I love dogs but some of them are just very aggressive and my dog does not take kindly to being bullied.

I was walking with her towards the dog park and two rather large dogs were coming out of the park. The three dogs looked at each other for approximately 30 seconds and the barking and snapping began. The other two dogs were a Mastiff looking dog and pit mix looking one. The Mastiff growled and my dog barked and lunged. Since she had her puppies, her aggression level has increased by 200%. It took all the strength we had to keep the dogs apart. I needed a hot toddy after that encounter.

That is stressful for me. She loves the exercise and the other owners are great, salt of the earth people, but I am far too high strung, anxious for such activities.

I love dogs and hanging out with other pet owners, but I wish there was a way for me to relax and enjoy it.

#blog30

Windy City Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! Invite a friend! Thank you for your comments.